[time-nuts] Wenzel Oscillator Repair

Joseph M Gwinn gwinn at raytheon.com
Wed Jan 21 20:22:31 UTC 2009

Chuck,

time-nuts-bounces at febo.com wrote on 01/21/2009 12:41:44 PM:

> Hi Joe,
>
> When you preheat to 105C, you don't need to travel as far to
> reach the melting point of the solder as you do from room
> temperature (25C).  That makes a big difference in how much
> power you need to couple into the joint to make it melt.
>
> If you go straight to the torch, and use the brute force
> supply of energy to make the joint melt quickly, you will
> overshoot the temperature every time.  A couple of seconds
> too long, and you can make quite a mess.
>
> I've done it both ways, with the torch, you are moving very
> quickly, and making hasty yanks and grabs to try and remove the
> cover as quickly as possible.  With preheat you can move
> leisurely, and use a small iron, or hot air gun, to provide
> the additional calories needed to melt the solder.

I've used many a torch, and the trick is to keep the flame far enough from
the work, so the temperature of the air hitting the work is reasonable.
But it does take practice to get this right.  The danger is often
overheating terminals and the like, not the big areas of metal.

But I do have two hot-air guns as well, glorified hair dryers, one for
stripping paint (1000 F?), the other for shrinking tubing (I'll have to
measure the temperature).  Need to be sure that the gun can melt solder
fast enough.

> Preheat is best by a long shot.  Try it and I am sure you
> will agree.

Can't say that I ever bothered, but I don't disagree.  There is certainly
nothing to lose if one preheats.

As for epoxy-glued covers, I have a war story.  In the 1960s, my Father
worked at RCA in a project that was building various components of the
moon lander.  The electronics was built in "cordwoods" which were a pair
of two-sided glass epoxy circuit boards with axial-lead components strung
between the two boards.  These boards were about 25mm apart, and the
bottom board was potted in alumina-loaded epoxy.  The epoxy-potted side of
the cordwood was glued to an aluminum cold plate with alumina-loaded
urethane glue.  The alumina was for thermal conductivity.  This assembly
had to work in a vacuum, so convection was unlikely.

The problem was that if a module in the center failed, one had to remove
(and usually destroy) all the modules from the closest edge to the bad
module, using a hot knife to cut the urethane.  Then, one of the
technicians had a brilliant idea: Use a paperclip bent into a hook, some
stiff wire bent into a bridge, and a rubber band to put a steady pull on
the bad module, put the whole affair in the 180 F oven, and go to coffee.
On return, the module would be free, dangling on the rubber band.  The
glue had crept under the combination of heat and steady stress until it
let go.  This saved an ungodly amount of money.  (My Father's role was to
do the mechanical analysis to prove that this method wouldn't damage any
of the modules, removed or adjacent.)

Many epoxies will also creep, especially when hot.

Joe