[time-nuts] ADEV vs. OADEV

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Thu Jan 22 14:06:31 UTC 2009

Magnus,

the paper http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/general/tn1337/Tn121.pdf is
thought-provoking. Not that I would simply say that you are right, but
because I dont't understand some things.

>                              N-2m
>                               ___
>       2              1       \                        2
> sigma  (tau) = -----------   >   (x     - 2x    + x )
>       y                   2  /___   i+2m     i+m    i
>                 2(N-2m)tau   i = 1
>
> a non-interleaved variant would have to be written as
> (assuming that m
> divides N):

>                - - 2
>                 ___
>       m        \                              2
> ------------   >   (x       - 2x       + x  )
>            2   /___   (i+2)m     (i+1)m    im
> 2(N-2m)tau    i = 1

No discussion about that, simply correct.

However the note to figure 8 as well as the note to figure 9 cover the
non-overlapping case. Indeed formulas (8) and (10) are overlapping and
to me it is a bit kind of magic where they come from in regard to thise
two notes.

Do you agree to the fact that the ADEV for Tau = 2 s should be the same,
regardless if computed from 1 s spaced phase data or from 2 s spaced
phase data?

Best regards
Ulrich