[time-nuts] ADEV vs. OADEV

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Jan 23 09:03:57 UTC 2009

Tom Van Baak skrev:
>> Trouble is, the algorithm Tom and Ulrich wants to denote OAVAR others
>> have already denoted AVAR, thus causing ambiguity.
>
> One can equally say the algorithm you now want to call simply
> "AVAR" others long before you chose to call "overlapping AVAR"
> in order to clearly distinguish it from the pre-existing label that
> you no longer even want to call "AVAR".

I think you missed my point... I didn't want to call it that. I notice
that it is already called AVAR.

> Personally I prefer to call it AVAR/ADEV when the implementation
> isn't relevant; and in those cases when it is, I specifically qualify
> the name with something like "normal" vs. "overlapping". That
> removes the ambiguity regardless of historical interpretation.

This is a good resolution. I would rather prefer "normal" being replaced
with "original" or something as the context would select which is the
"normal" one, which is a subjective matter.

The definition actually does not result in a particular algorithm (which
popular beleif seems to imply), so one has to be carefull in putting
judgement or preference in the prefix.

> We've beat this to death now and all understand the issues, yes?

I think this particular issue is beaten pretty dead by now. I at least
picked up a few important lessons. I hope others did too.

Cheers,
Magnus