[time-nuts] Home made GPS disciplined atomic clock

Esa Heikkinen scifiscifi at sci.fi
Sun Jan 25 18:08:36 UTC 2009

> Right, it all depends on what stability you're after. The OCXO
> will have much better short-term stability than the LPRO -- the
> LPRO is close to ten times worse.

Basicly I'm seeking an accurate frequency standard for RF lab. It should
be always as accurate as possible, regardless the state of GPS receiving
etc.

Before doing this modification I did some test runs Trimble versus LPRO
with phase comparator circuit. I noticed that Trimble is accurate as
long as it gets the GPS signal and phase change between LPRO and Trimble
  was changing evenly. It is even accurate after the GPS drops (holdover
mode) but after the signal comes back the things start to go badly
wrong. It starts to roll it's phase / 1 PPS back to alignment woth GPS
time and this caused very badly looking phase activity when compared to
LPRO.

Another bad issue was that if there's a change in satellite receiving
(satellite hopping or some) it causes rapid change the PPS offset and
OCXO frequency starts to roll to get the 1 PPS back to alignment. So it
seems that Trimble's main principle is 10000000 pulses per PPS, with no
exceptions and when the PPS goes off the 10 MHz must also go off to get
the 1 PPS back to aligment. So there's no constant 10 MHz frequency
either. That's not acceptable because in normal use I should be always
aware of GPS receiving states - I'd just like to trust that I'm getting
accurate 10 MHz - any time!

So I become to think that may be very slow loop dynamics will solve that
problem (if the DAC value isn't changed at every little change at
satellite reception). And for that purpose the rubidium sound better
than OCXO.

I also got misunderstanding from this:
http://www.ptsyst.com/GPS10RB-B.pdf
It claims that rubidiums will have good short therm drift.

My problem here is that there's no way to measure the different setups
because my only rb is now part of the experiment. All I can do is the
log them and look the change between PPS timing offset readings.

When doing the GPS vs. LPRO phase comparison told before I noticed that
the changes of PPS offsets are correlated the phase changes between LPRO
and Tbolt output, when observed quite short time. So it seems that the
PPS offset is somehow accurate measurement of oscillator stability as well.

I also done some noise measurements with spectrum analyzer between LRPO
and Trimble outputs. LPRO had lower noise floor around fundamental.

> See John Miles work to replace the Thunderbolt OCXO:
> http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/tbolt.htm

Hmm. May be the OCXO on my tbolt is then somehow bad if the LPRO should
be even worse? It has Trimble label on and the unit is manufactured on
2005, in China.

Is there any logs available with that better OCXO? It would be nice to
see the PPS offsets variance between readings with that oscillator.

>> http://www.amigazone.fi/files/gpsdo/tbolt-lpro-test.log
> I'll have a look at this; but it's not accessible for some reason.

Oops.. Now you should get it.

--
73s!
Esa