[time-nuts] Home made GPS disciplined atomic clock

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sun Jan 25 19:13:51 UTC 2009

Esa

You can change the Thunderbolt recovery mode from holdover.

One test you can perform that should give an indication of the location
of the Allan intercept is to:

1) connect the receiver to an antenna.

2) let it run for a few days so the Kalman filter learns the drift,
tempco and other parameters.

3) manually disable the disciplining leaving the thunderbolt connected
to the antenna.

4) Log the Thunderbolt PPS offset (plus time stamp) for a day or more.

5) Analyse the resultant data to determine the relative Allan deviation
between the receiver and the 10MHz source.
Ulrich's Plotter is good for this (use the overlapping ADEV algorithm -
although TOTDEV and Theo1 are even better estimators of the Allan deviation)
All going well, you will see a minimum in the Allan deviation versus tau
plot.
In most cases the value of tau at the minimum will be relatively close
to the value of tau at the Allan intercept.

However to do this successfully your antenna will need a good view of
the sky.
For short tau the GPS receiver noise will dominate.
For long tau the 10MHz source noise and drift will dominate.

Bruce