[time-nuts] Setting loop TC using thunderbolt internal data.

Bruce Walker bruce at w1bw.org
Mon Jan 26 21:31:08 UTC 2009

The data I posted came from a 10 hour run collecting data every
second.  I could certainly set up other longer experiments.

We quickly arrive at the limits of my experience...I had never looked
at Hadamard deviation before.  I was curious to see what I could learn
about the Tbolt without having anything better to measure it against.
For the time being, this is my "lab" reference.

Let me see whether I understand what I've measured.  The Allan
intercept for my tbolt's undisciplined oscillator as measured by the
onboard GPS solution is on order tau=800s.  The Hadamard intercept
under the same conditions appears to be more like 1600s.   Does that
tell me that if the disciplining model includes a drift compensation,
the optimal disciplining time constant is close to the Hadamard
intercept tau, but if there were no drift model, the Allan intercept
would be more appropriate?

And a primer or reference to the other statistical measures you
mentioned (Theo_1, etc.) would be appreciated.

--bruce W1BW