[time-nuts] Home made GPS disciplined atomic clock

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Tue Jan 27 20:09:12 UTC 2009

Esa

Wenzel has a introduction to low cost phase noise measurement at:

http://www.wenzel.com/documents/measuringphasenoise.htm

Its relatively easy to assemble such a system.
A PC sound card can be used as a spectrum analyser for measuring phase
noise to within a few Hz of the carrier.
There are low noise amplifiers with lower flicker noise than Wenzel's
low noise FET input audio amplifier
<http://www.wenzel.com/pdffiles1/pdfs/lowamp.pdf>.
It is also possible to build a variant of Wenzel's amplifier that doesnt
require selection of JFETs.

If one wishes to measure the Allan variance of an oscillator, the 3
cornered hat technique can be used with 3 oscillators having similar
performance.

For longer tau (1000sec or more depending on the OCXO being
characterised) the PPS output of a good gps timing receiver can be used
as a reference.
However a clear view of the southern sky is required,

Bruce