[time-nuts] Tbolt temperature sensor

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 30 17:09:35 UTC 2009

I don't know if it is bad...  but it certainly can't be good...

BTW,  my newer Tbolt is a second group TAPR unit....   I am pretty sure it shows the same firmware (3.0) / build (10.2) versions as an earlier one that does not show the "problem".   I am thinking it may be caused by changes in the sensor chip (or it could be a bad batch...  mine was made within days of Asa's unit which also shows the flat temperature line).  The firmware is definitely doing the "subtract 0.25C" step of the high resolution read cycle.  It is just not producing the extra digits from the counter/slope registers.

I wonder how that affects holdover compensation.  It seems that my
TAPR Tbolt has moves the DAC by about 1e-4 V, or 5e-4Hz, per 0.1C.
0.5C represents a huge step of something like 2.5e-10.

--bruce w1bw