[time-nuts] Broken Ovenaire OSC 85-50 - crystal failure ?

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Jul 4 22:12:27 UTC 2009

On 7/4/09 1:49 PM, "Hal Murray" <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

>> I've not attempted to butcher a capsule open to determine the cause -
>> this to my mind is bordering on the sacrilegious but if given
>> absolution from another TimeNut, I may attempt it and photograph the
>> results ...
>
> What have you got to lose?  Is it good for anything else?
>
> I probably wouldn't bother unless I had a camera that was good enough to get
> a nice picture in case I found something interesting.  (This might be a good
> excuse to get a good camera.)
>
> How would you open the can?  I was thinking of using a file, but that's
> likely to setup vibrations which could cause enough damage to mask the
> initial problem.  Maybe if it was held in a vice.

Clearly, the tool of choice is a plasma cutter, because you don't get the
oxidation you do with the oxyacetylene torch, and it works better on
stainless steel anyway.

Actually, what about a sharp knife making repeated trips around the edge
(think of a tubing cutter). You get a very clean cut.  For the old TO-5 type
cans, I've chucked the device in a suitable drill press (a lathe would
work), and used a utility knife on a suitable rest (e.g. A block of wood).
You probably aren't lucky enough to have a round can, though.

Or a cutoff wheel or saw blade on a dremel type tool. Both work quite
nicely.