[time-nuts] Prologix GPIB-USB vs. GPIB-LAN

Chad Simpson analogaficionado at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 02:43:35 UTC 2009

Hello all, this is my first post to the list...

Like many of you, over time I've acquired enough test equipment with the
GPIB interface that I'm wanting to make use of it.  I have narrowed the
choice down to one of the Prologix devices (GPIB-USB or GPIB-LAN), but I
haven't found much information about the differences between the two.  Apart
from the obvious (price, tether distance from the PC), can anyone comment on
the pros & cons of the two?  I am running all Macs, so anything pertinent to
using these interfaces under OS X would be especially welcome.  I do have
Win XP running under vmware, so if necessary I can use that, though I prefer
to try and run everything under OS X.

Some specific questions I have:
- How well do the different drivers work?
- Is one faster than the other?
- What about compatability with various software?  Are the software
interfaces really different, or similar enough that either could be used
with minimal tweaking?

Thanks, and have a great 4th of July everyone!
Chad.