[time-nuts] Prologix GPIB-USB vs. GPIB-LAN

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 03:36:41 UTC 2009

I have a GPIB-LAN, and it works.  You basically telnet to it and issue
commands either manually or via software.  It works with EZ-GPIB without any
trouble.  It's extremely easy to use.

That being said, it is not a substitute for a GPIB card from NI.  I wrote a
spiffy software program in VB to pull data from a Tektronix 7854 scope that
nobody can use unless they have a GPIB-LAN adapter.  It won't work with
LabView or anything else out there with the exception of EZGPIB.  If you
care about compatibility with canned software that talks GPIB, these devices
are not the way to go.  If you want to get up and running very quickly or
just want to use EZGPIB, it's fine.  Ultimately my adapter is sitting in a
drawer and I bought a PCI-GPIB card on eBay for about $100.

-Bob