[time-nuts] Prologix GPIB-USB vs. GPIB-LAN

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 02:14:15 UTC 2009

If you are willing to (or want to) write your own software, than the
Prologix Ethernet adapter is the way to go.  I've done it in PERL under
Solaris and IRIX without any trouble.  Just open a socket connection on port
23 and send over text commands.  Very easy.  MUCH easier than using NI
products.  The trade-off is that your software will only work with the
Prologix box and guarantees incompatability for those without one.  The
upside is that it works over a network, even wireless if you plug it into a
wireless bridge.  Real handy when you don't want to stay tied to a
workbench.  These are extra nice if all you have is a laptop.   Mine is
currently in a drawer, but I'm not willing to part with it because it's just
that handy when you need something done fast.

-Bob