[time-nuts] OT Euro/US plumbing was 14 tpi UNS die

bg at lysator.liu.se bg at lysator.liu.se
Tue Jul 7 21:38:52 UTC 2009

> bg at lysator.liu.se wrote:
>> Hi Chuck,
>>
>> Been living in Sweden my whole life. And almost exclusivly in houses
>> heated by circulating hot water through radiators. I have yet to spot an
>> O-ring.
>>
>> Where in Sweden did you see this strange system?
>
> Hi Bjorn,
>
> In the US, hydronic heat comes in a couple of flavors:  The old fashioned
> cast iron radiators, fin/coil baseboard radiators, radiant baseboard, or
> steel radiators/towel warmers imported from the Europe.

Your description does not enlighten me... there are all sorts of radiators
available here.

> Most of the European systems are geared towards PEX tubing, and
> compression
> fittings... and untapered pipe thread with jamb nuts and O-rings.

PEX tubing has been "certified", but Prisol tubing (ie soft bendable Cu
with plastic "coating") is much more common here. Cu tube joints are made
with "nut", "support cylinder" and a "squeeze ring".

> Runtal, Cordivari, Wirsbro and Wesaunard are examples I have run into.

It is actually Wirsbo... ;-) The others are unknown to me.

> Do you install and repair systems?  Or just live with them?

I do minor changes to the house system. And I have accumulated more than
enough radiator heating seasons to know your "two seasons to leak" quality
must be a US craftmanship problem.

--

   Björn