[time-nuts] GPS just got very accurate

Dave Baxter dave at uk-ar.co.uk
Thu Jul 9 08:11:21 UTC 2009

> Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 01:46:07 +1200
> From: Steve Rooke <sar10538 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [time-nuts] GPS just got very accurate
>
> Was just checking the GPS status page of my Truetime NTP
> server and it reported "Number of Satellites Tracked  892"!
> Quite apart from it only being able to track 8 birds, since
> when has NASA suddenly become that busy sending sats into
> space, it would be quite a log-jam up there :-)
>
> Refresh of page gave the correct answer, 5. Maybe it's
> something to do with the firmware needing MS Java VM to make
> it work and that is not supported any more. Anyone know if
> there is a firmware update for these devices so that it can
> work with SUN Java?
>
> 73,
> Steve
> --
> Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD & JAKDTTNW
> A man with one clock knows what time it is; A man with two
> clocks is never quite sure.

Hi Steve...

MS's JVM is still documented at...
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/default.mspx
with links to all sorts of related stuff.  I'm sure you could find the
download from some archive somewhere if you poke about the web.

As to self contained GPS diciplined NTP servers, they seem to be like
rocking horse do-do's on the surplus market, hence my increasing
dabbling in FreeBSD and it's aledged ability to do such things well,
given a PPS capable GPS gadget, and some messing about recompiling the
kernel with an extra option or two enabled.   I have the hardware, I
have the software, I just need the time to make it all work!

Regards...

Dave B (G8KBV/G0WBX   I can legaly talk to myself!  Still get no sense
though...)

My need for reliable NTP time?  (Something my ISP seems to find dificult
to do!)
http://g8kbv.homeip.net:8008/