[time-nuts] 10811 crystal orientation

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Thu Jul 9 15:37:55 UTC 2009

I have seen one instance where crystal orientation does matter. Among
other things, I'm interested in WW II military radios. Admittedly long
ago.

The Canadian Wireless Set 19, the standard radio for many tanks, etc., in
WW II had an external crystal calibrator. It put out 1 MHz, 100 KHz, and
10 KHz. Interestingly, the 100 KHz and 1 MHz were generated bu the same
crystal. The calibrator was in its own case about 1.5 x 4 x 10 inches and
could be mounted on edge or side.

The manual specifically stated the crystal MUST be mounted in the correct
orientation within the calibrator before the calibrator is mounted to the
set.

-John