[time-nuts] Time servers on a well known web site.

Chris Kuethe chris.kuethe at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 15:54:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 7:17 AM, Dave Baxter<dave at uk-ar.co.uk> wrote:
> Just found these on eBlag.
>
> Way outside my price range, but...
>
> 220445049656   Not sure if it actualy does GPS disiplined stuff, as there is no GPS antenna socket!
>
> 180370118043   Still too rich for me.  And when you consider even a new NSLUG is about £65, and the GPS is not an expensive item either, plus the software is probably 'nix based.

did you notice that the demo site is called "red herring" - something
is fishy about this whole setup.

> I hope the guy selling them, is whoever has worked out how to do that.   I'd hate to think somone else has put a lot of time and effort into doing that, and is getting ripped off.   Wonder too just how accurate it is, using a USB based (non PPS) GPS?

>From the product's webpage: "The NTS1-GPS time source provides a time
reference derived from the reception of NMEA data from the USB GPS
receiver. It does not contain a pulse-per-second (PPS) kernel nor
high-stability oscillators. The NTS1-GPS is not designed nor intended
for use in application where high-precision high-stability UTC time is
required. Position information is provided by the NTS1-GPS for
reference only"