[time-nuts] Low cost GPS for NTP use (was: RE: time-nuts Digest, Vol 60, Issue 44)

Dave Baxter dave at uk-ar.co.uk
Fri Jul 10 08:31:13 UTC 2009

Bob (Fluke.1) has some GPS16HVS's at a decent price.   Very short (cut
off) leads though.  I have two of them (one just in case) and am about
to graft on cable extensions to test them.

These are units that do have real RS232 and 1PPS output as standard, &
work from an 8 to 40V supply, for a fraction of their new cost!   Garmin
still hosts the data sheets, user and tech manuals, and configuration
software, freely downloadable

I believe from what I hear on other lists, that there are probably 100's
of these units being "decommissioned" all over the world.  They are not
that old in real terms.

I was also experimenting with a SiRF start based "mouse" type GPS.  The
ones with the long tail and 6 pin RJ connector for the serial IO.  And a
red flashing light on the mouse, that flashes (changes once a second!)
when it has acquired the signal.   I was trying to track down the PPS
signal that triggers the flip-flop that drives the LED.  You never know
(there are unused pins on it's IO connector inside the case....)    But
the circuitry is just too small for me to see, let alone probe with a
'scope!   So, I'll keep them for use with trackers.

Best Regards..

Dave Baxter.
G0WBX.