[time-nuts] Maximizing Cs Tube Life

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Sat Jul 11 04:03:43 UTC 2009

You're right, at 11 ua, that 5071A is pretty much hosed.  I'd be surprised
if it knows what day it is.  You'd better cut your losses and send it to me
before it gets any worse.  Cesium is a hazardous material, not that there's
much left in this particular unit, and you don't want to be stuck having to
throw anything away that contains it.  There's all sorts of red tape, up to
and including EPA fines and prison time.  That said, I could reimburse the
cost of shipping, to defray the inevitable expenses associated with
disposal.  Do you take PayPal?

Seriously, the manual says 0-40 uA is the 'typical' range, so I wouldn't be
inclined to worry about it.  It could be an artifact of the high-performance
tube, for that matter.  You might open the unit up and measure the current
yourself, to make sure the monitoring circuit isn't lying to you for some
reason.

Looks like pages 68 and 127-129 of the service manual .pdf cover ion-pump
supply verification.  Have you tried those procedures yet?

-- john, KE5FX