[time-nuts] Maximizing Cs Tube Life

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Sun Jul 12 18:22:06 UTC 2009

I recently ran across a paper from the 1980 Frequency Control Symposium, in
which HP and the USNO released their surveys on 5061/5062 failure modes.
There was a special emphasis on beam-tube life, showing strong positive
trends as HP got better at manufacturing the tubes in the 1970s:

Longevity Performance of Cesium-Beam Frequency Standards
http://www.ke5fx.com/cs_life.pdf (5 MB, 12 pages)

The paper obviously doesn't apply directly to the 5071A tubes, which came
out much later, but you can still clearly see the loss of service life
associated with high-performance beam tubes in general.  Seems that 5061A
standard-perf tubes were way out in front of everyone else, back in the day.

-- john, KE5FX