[time-nuts] surplus carrier phase measurement-capable receivers (was Thunderbolt firmware differences)

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Jul 13 07:13:35 UTC 2009

christopher hoover wrote:

>> I wanted to have Heather make a RINEX file that could be submiited to
>> OPUS-GIS to get a more precise antenna location.   The Tbolt does not
>> support carrier phase measurements.  It does output doppler values.
>> The code phase (pseudorange) values that it outputs look to be VERY
>> difficult to translate into normal pseudoranges.  You need to
>> calculate the satellite positions from the almanac, etc to be able to
>> use them.
>>
>> OPUS-GIS is still in alpha testing mode.  I don't know what observable
>> you need to have it post process the data.
>>
> What typically-available surplus receivers do carrier phase
> measurements[1]?   I'm close to putting up a choke ring antenna I scored
> off of the surplus market on the roof -- I don't think the wife is going
> to let me build a proper monument in the yard.  :-)     Hence, I, too,
> am interested in getting a precise antenna fix.   I 'spose I could hire
> a surveyor, but that's cheating.

Considering that the monument should go clear of the house for the
antennas sky-view, I am sure that you are in good company with most of
us here and many nodes of reference station networks in using the
existing building rather than a fundament.

> -ch
>
> [1]. I did enough work w/surplus SuperStar receivers that I convinced
> myself I could flash the carrier phase-capable software onto the board,
> but that's stealing.  I am interested in receivers where I can  get
> legitimate access to carrier phase measurements.

It depends, what if there is no commecial service available to get the
carrier-phase option?

There have been some work to build up a open-source code-base for GPS
receiver software.

But to answer the question, the CMC/Novatel series OEM boards, Motorola
and Ashtech receivers can all have carrier phase ability. However, the
carrier phase capable receivers is not easy to find.

Cheers,
Magnus