[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt setup optimization and adding a10811 OCXO

Arnold Tibus Arnold.Tibus at gmx.de
Mon Jul 13 18:56:56 UTC 2009

Tom,:

>> Astonishing for me,
>> I found that the 10811 does behave better in undisciplined
>> mode for a limited time:

>This is to be expected. An undisciplined high-quality OCXO
>like a 10811 will be hundreds or thousands of times better
>than the raw output of a GPS receiver at short averaging
>times. This is why a GPSDO exists; it allows the OCXO to
>run almost free for minutes to hours but allows GPS to rule
>for long-term.

yes that is what I thought, but if I do observe correct, TB's
OCXO does not run at all free for minutes. With a time
constant of 360s the EFC and thePPS is surfing up and
down, why, I do not see the need to shift this OCXO within
2 minutes 80ppbs up and pps15ns as well - with this stable
oscillator....what is the driver, the SATs (I think not so)!

Arnold