[time-nuts] Accurate Thunderbolt position

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 13 23:15:45 UTC 2009

I spent several hours trying to find out why I started getting longitude number that were way off. Everything seemed to be working properly,  but the tbolt was reporting longitude numbers way off from the surveyed position.

I thought that my attempts to feed it an accurate lunch had gotten the unit into some bogo-state.  Did a power cycle and factory reset and new self survey.  Still got bogo-longitude.  Curse you John Harrison!

Turns out I had the wrong tbolt connected...  the surveyed point in the front yard has a very close latitude to the rooftop antenna,  but off by around 70 feet in longitude.   All them serial cables look alike.  D'oh!

An equally creative solution -- just move the antenna a
few feet in whatever direction you need equal the value
of the single precision number ;-) I can see your deck
now - with an old CNC XYZ head and a GPS antenna...