[time-nuts] 10811 crystal orientation

Jim Hall perseidjh at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 14 02:41:02 UTC 2009

Based on my experience with the HP 8660C (detailed below) I suspect fan
noise could have an effect on HP 5370 performance.

I was project manager for the HP8660C synthesizer. During the project we
discovered the fan in the 8660C was adding significant "close-in" noise
sidebands to the synthesizer output by vibrating the internal 10811
reference oscillator. For that reason we devised a foam damped mounting
system for the 10811 and added a narrow band crystal filter in series with
it's output. With these two countermeasures the internal 10811 oscillator
yielded noise performance comparable to that obtained with an external
reference. This was in 1975 and unfortunately I no longer remember details
as to the sideband frequencies or magnitudes generated by the fan/10811
combination.

Jim Hall W4TVI