[time-nuts] Accurate Thunderbolt position

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 15 04:51:16 UTC 2009

My Ashtech Z12 system has located my g-spot to within 4mm lat/lon and 27mm altitude.  I used the OPUS-RS system to process 1.5 hours of data using 9 baselines to national CORS reference stations and the rapid (1-day) orbits... not too shabby for 15+ year old technology.  The fix should be even more accurate when the precise (two week) orbits are available.

Now,  if I can only get those numbers into the Tbolt...

Doing some statistical hand waving over the fixes produced by the Tbolt,  I think I can get it to find its antenna to within around 1 foot.  So far,  the fixes that I can get it to produce look much better than the standard self survey results.  Again,  it may be an exercise in futility if I can't get the Tbolt to accept and store a precise location.

A GPS guy I know comments that when you start talking down in the sub-meter sorts of accuracies, particularly for absolute measurements, there's a whole raft of factors that are all of the same general magnitude that you need to take into account: tidal deformation, ionosphere, multipath, thermal distortion of your antenna, changes in the cable due to temperature, etc.etc.etc.> *****************************************