[time-nuts] OT - Feynman lecture series on Physics hosted by Microsoft

Mike Monett xde-l2g3 at myamail.com
Sat Jul 18 21:21:27 UTC 2009

  Mike Monett said:

  > Unplug the  LAN  cable  when  installing  XP  to  prevent  it from
  > automatically updating files. I found it wrecks  the installation,
  > and I turn automatic updates off as soon as I get the chance.

  I missed an important point. There is a step near the end of  the XP
  installation where  it tries to connect to the web. You  will  see a
  series of  yellow dashes connecting to a picture of the  Earth, then
  surrounding it.

  The LAN  cable needs to be plugged in at this point so  XP  can load
  the files needed to connect to the web. If you don't allow it  to do
  this, it  won't  connect  later and you  have  to  re-do  the entire
  installation again.

  Plug the LAN cable in for this step, then immediately unplug it when
  the screen displays the question about how you connect to the web.

  Answer the question to proceed.

  When XP  finally installs, turn off Automatic Updates as soon  as it
  gives you a chance, while it is displaying all the warnings and tour
  messages.

  You can  turn  off Automatic Updates in  Control  Panel  -> Security
  Center -> Change the way Security Center Alerts me.

  Best,

  Mike