[time-nuts] OT - Feynman lecture series on Physics hosted by Microsoft

Mike Monett xde-l2g3 at myamail.com
Sat Jul 18 23:37:31 UTC 2009

  > I assure  you,  Windows XP does not  update  automatically without
  > asking (or  you intentionally configuring it to do so).  Also, you
  > do not  need  a  LAN cable attached  during  installation  for any
  > reason, especially  for  configuring the  network  settings. After
  > install is  complete and you boot the first  time,  just configure
  > network settings as usual or auto-update settings, etc.

  > -Bob (minesweeper certified solitaire engineer)

  Sorry, Robert.  I'm using SP3. Maybe it is different  from  what you
  are used to.

  I have spent the past several weeks installing and  re-installing XP
  due to  problems   with   VirtualBox,   XP   file  formats, snapshot
  corruptions, trying  to install XEN on top of  VirtualBox  (don't do
  that!) or any number of other problems.

  XP will  not allow you to connect to the web if you do not  have the
  LAN cable  connected at the point in the installation when  it tries
  to see  if it can connect. I tried this several times and  found the
  cable had to be connected at that point.

  But then  you  must  disconnect  the   cable  for  the  rest  of the
  installation.

  The default for Auto Update is set true. After first boot, there are
  several places where it will start updating.

  There may be a notification that it will do so, but it is  very easy
  to misinterpret or miss it entirely.

  When XP  first  starts,  there are so  many  warnings  about missing
  antivirus programs, firewall, taking the XP tour, and I  forget what
  else. It is very easy to get distracted and click the  wrong button,
  then you are hosed and have to start over again.

  The safest way is to disconnect the LAN cable until you  have turned
  everything off and won't have to deal with any more distractions.

  Another thing that might be worth looking at. ReactOS is starting to
  show some good results:

  http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

  It would be very interesting to see if Silverlight would install and
  run on it. Eventually they will get there.

  Wouldn't that be funny!

  Best,

  Mike