[time-nuts] OT: Wanted - Service Manual for Solartron 7150+ DMM

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Sun Jul 19 00:45:38 UTC 2009

david.partridge at dsl.pipex.com writes:

I have a  very poor scan of the 7150 Service Manual.  7150+ is  somewhat
different.

I have sent an email to Emerson (successors of  Solartron Mobrey) in the
hope
that they may still have this.  Manuals  Plus has a photocopy at USD30.

Hoping to find a complete original or a  good quality scan.  Dave at Artek
Media has the 7150, but not the  7150+.

-----------------
Hi David, and anyone else who might interested,

I do have an original 7150+ service manual, bought as NOS towards the end
of last year around the same time that I bought three 7150+ DMMs via Ebay.

I am happy to share this but do have some problems making clean scans from
A3 pages right now, and this manual contains quite a few A3 foldout
diagrams.

My problem is the Twain driver for my Epson "photo quality" scanner,
ironically the last scanner for which they used Twain drivers, which insists on
copying black and white documents in at least 8 bit 256 colour mode  rather
than the 1 bit 2 colour mode of my previous, very slow but much less
hassle, parallel port unit.

The problem comes when an A3 page is laid across the edges of the A4 bed in
 order to scan it in sections. Because of the enhanced sensitivity to half
tones,  and the difficulty of getting the edges to lay flat to the scanning
plate, a lot  of noise tends to be introduced at page edges and this can
take ages to remove.

There's no easy solution, most diagrams require manual processsing and
most other software automatically seeks out the Epson drivers.
 Epson have been less than helpful, pretty pictures fine, scanned  black
and white pages, Oh dear:-(

Until I can recover my "proper" document scanners from storage, and get
them up and running again, I'm stuck with what I've got and, as per above,
that  ain't great.

I don't like putting imperfect work in the public domain, it tends to stick
 and go round for ever, but don't have too much time right now to scan this
and  then tidy up the noisy edges.

One option is just to wait while I work my way through it, no guarantees on
 timing, and another is that somebody pays for copies and takes over the
responsibility for making a scanned copy available.

There are no sensibly priced copy shops out here in the middle of the Clyde
 estuary, we just have Dunoon library at 10p per A4 sheet and 20p for A3,
anyone  can cope with that please let me know.
Copy cost and onward postage