[time-nuts] [OT] -48 instead of +48 (was:RE: Where does 28V come from?)

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Jul 21 14:38:32 UTC 2009

> n3izn at aol.com Wrote:

> Not to steal the thread, but any one know why the telephone company choose to use a negative
> voltage? Where as the positive is referenced to ground? When I was a kid I was told it was
> because they discovered that the battery terminal would corrode if it was done that way?

Negative 48 was chosen for several reasons, but the primary reason a negative potential was chosen was due to negative voltages causing less galvanic corrosion to outside plant; splices and copper wires outside corrode more quickly when at a positive potential relative to ground.

--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer