[time-nuts] Where does 28V come from?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Jul 21 18:37:04 UTC 2009

In message <ECE7A93BD093E1439C20020FBE87C47FEB749828B8 at ALTPHYEMBEVSP20.RES.AD.J
PL>, "Lux, James P (337C)" writes:

>Higher voltages are being driven by a couple factors, independent
>of dishwasher installation..
>
>There is a desire to reduce the wiring harness mass and cost.
>Higher voltages let you use smaller wires, so you spend less money
>on copper and insulation.

True, but the car industrys plan was the that dishwasher-in-hummer
segment was going to pay the development costs, making "42V electrical"
a "high-end-feature", thus making people desire it in lower grade
cars, rather than having to actually stuff it down peoples throats.

Right now, 42V car are "D.E.A.D" according to my sources in the
autoindustry, partly, as you point out, in light of the hybrid/electric
market expected to explode, but mostly, because nobody has the money
to develop and push the new standard.

Poul-Henning