[time-nuts] EFRATOM MFTD-AC4 FREQUENCY REFERENCE DISTRIBUTION AMP - update

Demian Martin demianm_1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 23 07:48:37 UTC 2009

I received the unit. The shipping and packing was very good- no peanuts!

The one I got was different from what I expected. It's a 5 MHz unit with 20
outputs. More than I could conceivably need. I looked inside. The supply is
actually 25V. The input module has an FPGA for some reason, probably to
communicate fault back to a host. The signal is distributed as a low level
square wave on the backplane and amplified through a high gain tuned amp
before going to the output amps. The outputs are all monitored.

I need to figure out the tuned circuit so I can retune it. Would the
performance be better if I bypass the input module and drive the output
modules with a sine wave? I'm using it as a reference for some
not-too-sophisticated counters and generators so the phase noise will be
much better than those could benefit from regardless.

Demian Martin
PDS