[time-nuts] DMTD phase shifter

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sat Jul 25 00:24:18 UTC 2009

Stephan

For ultra fine phase shifts one can always use NIST's approach of using
a splitter (or directional coupler) to sample the OCXO signal then use a
mixer as a dc controlled attenuator, attenuate the output with a fixed
attenuator and recombine it in quadrature with the original signal. Very
small phase shifts at the reference frequency can be achieved in this way.

Stephan Sandenbergh wrote:
> Corby,
> Thanks - it makes sense. I was suspecting that such a low-frequency phase
> shifter would be done using cable lengths. However, I can't say that I've
> got much experience with this kind of thing.
>
> I have another question:
>
> The rule of thumb would be that the reference oscillator must be 3x more
> stable than the DUT. I haven't got much to measure my standards against, but
> I have got 3 identical units. According to literature the separation of
> variances method provide a reasonable estimate.
>
> How well does a measurement, based on separation of variances, compare to
> one that was done using a sufficiently stable reference?

It works best when all 3 oscillators are compared (pairwise)
simultaneously using 3 DMTD systems and 3 time interval counters.
It tends to be less useful for longer tau as the 3 oscillators share the
same external environment.

> Regards,
>
> Stephan.

Bruce