[time-nuts] Position accuracy and Thunderbolt performance

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Sun Jul 26 16:47:07 UTC 2009

holrum at hotmail.com writes:

I did a  rather interesting test on the effects of the survey position
accuracy on the  Thunderbolt.  Attached are two plots.  The first one is with
the  Tbolt position within three feet of the actual location.  The second show
 the results when the Tbolt is told it is 200 feet from where it actually
is.

The graphs are scaled to the same scale factors.  The  jumps in the 200
foot graph are NOT correlated to satellite constellation  changes, etc.  The
self-reported performance is degraded by a factor of  around 10.

The quantization and structure of the 200 foot graph  is totally
unexpected.  It may help explain things like the DAC spikes in  divisions 5 and 7 of
the 3foot.gif graph.

That's certainly a significant difference, but would you expect that under
more normal circumstances?

Or. to put it another way, what could we reasonably  expect to see as a
position error if the T'bolt is  allowed to self survey?

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR