[time-nuts] What's the cleanest way to produce 1 and 5 MHz from 10 MHz?

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Tue Jul 28 01:01:22 UTC 2009

David Kirkby wrote:
> A friend of mine has a GPS receiver with a Stanford PRS 10 rubidium as
> a frequency standard he uses for his test equipment - mainly signal
> generators, spectrum analysers etc. Most kit takes a 10 MHz sine wave.
>
> Some of his kit needs 1 MHz and other bits 5 MHz. What is the cleanest
> way to derive these frequencies from 10 MHz. I would suspect a number
> like 10, which is not a power of 2, would present more of a problem.
>
> I don't know what kit he has that needs 1 or 5 MHz,so I don't know how
> fussy it is.
>
> Dave

David

High level injection locking of an oscillator with a suitable topology
has been made to work well.
The phase noise of the free running oscillator isn't too critical as the
high level injection locked oscillator acts as a complete very wideband
1st order PLL with the pahse offset from the reference determined by the
oscillator tank tuning.

Alternatively one can use the more general form of the regenerative
divider which has an output frequency other than the standard fin/2 or
3fin/2.
To produce an output of fin/10, the regeneration loop needs to ensure
that both 0.1*fin and 0.9*fin signals are fed back to the mixer.

Bruce