[time-nuts] Service manual for HP 106B Quartz Oscillator

Jim Palfreyman jim77742 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 23:22:06 UTC 2009

Hi Stan, (and time-nuts because this may interest someone).

Well I've made good progress. The 1000 uF capacitor fixed a lot of things.
After letting the unit warm up for 24 hours it has settled down to become
quite an accurate unit. Current drift (after calibration with a screwdriver)
is 2 nsec a minute. Not bad for an old beast.

I notice the oven has four adjustments. Two marked "factory settings". The
large screw at front and centre is a course oscillator adjustment - but I
don't know the other three. Can you look those up for me. There locations
are:

Rear centre - screw is deep within the unit. No noticeable change. I'm
guessing inner oven temperature.
Rear offset - screw is near the surface. No noticeable change. I'm guessing
outer oven temperature.Seems to adjust the amplitude of the waveform in some
weird way. Not sure of this.

There is also a large internal trim pot near the front top of the unit but
facing backwards. I'd like to know what this does.

Regards,

Jim