[time-nuts] HP 3458A ISOLATOR DTACK err @ pwr up

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Thu Jul 30 23:31:31 UTC 2009

The voltages are correct even with a half-fried transformer.  Sounds
like typical HP overdesign.  :-)
Did you check for ripple or noise on the outputs?

I'm intrigued by the fact that the error message is pointing you towards
the Outguard Controller, but the only apparent damage is to the Inguard
Power Supply.  Could the error message be a red herring?  Could the
actual damage be in the Inguard Section as shown in Fig. 28 (p. 70) of
the Assembly Level Repair Manual?  This would at least be consistent
with damage to the Inguard Power Supply.  But it seems odd that HP would
have such a misleading error message.

Does the error change if the fiber links are disconnected?  Can you
probe the optical receivers with a scope to see if there's data on the
links?

Ed