[time-nuts] Multiple Voltage monitoring

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Fri Jul 31 05:00:25 UTC 2009

Hi John and Mat,

The USB analog units seemed OK for the price ($169) and feature set.  Another one
to consider is http://www.dataq.com I tried one of their $25 starters that had 10
bit resolution.

 I was going to suggest, depending upon Matts interests, that perhaps he could
use a PIC or ATMEL device with analog inputs and roll his own.  Most PIC models
have 10 bits but some do have 12 bit.  You could use an external A/D for 12 bits
or more.

There are some decent low-end HP DVMs on ebay occasionally, if you want to take a
chance on it working.  That would be the cheapest way to get the GPIB.

If time is short and you do not have the essentials for rolling you own then it
looks like John's suggestion would be the more reasonable route.  There are
others that provide some low-end data acquisition products as well.  You will
have to do a Google search for data acquisition.

Another idea is using some of the inexpensive 4 digit DVMs (run around $50 to
$80) that have serial output capability.  I bought a couple of Mastech units for
$59 a few years ago. They had a temperature probe and the serial output.

Bill....WB6BNQ