Dave M masondg44 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 31 15:30:36 UTC 2009

>Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:42:24 -0700
>From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard at karlquist.com>
>Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Distribution Amp project
>To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
><time-nuts at febo.com>
>
>Dave M wrote:
>
>> I haven't been able to find schematics for the Extron DA, but according
>> the author's discussion, it seems to be very similar to the DA circuit
>> schematics at http://www.ko4bb.com/~bruce/IsolationAmplifiers.html.  I
>> haven't had time to reverse engineer the circuit in my Extron DA, but it
>> surely would be nice to avoid it if possible.  Anyone have a schematic,
>> or a
>> source for it?
>
>In the KO4BB citation, the common base discrete amps are going to give
>considerably better performance than the video distribution amplifier
>you were asking about.
>
>Rick Karlquist N6RK

Thanks for that, rick.  I know that the KO4BB circuits will be much quieter
than the Extron DA, but since I already have one of the Extron units, I was
hoping to hear from someone who had put the described project through a bit
of testing, just to see how good or bad it really is.  Guess I'll have to do
a bit of experimentation to determine its suitability for my small lab.  As
I said in my original post, I only need to distribute a few standard
frequencies; not timing.  If it doesn't add a significant amount of noise,
it might suffice until I run across a better DA at a good price.

Thanks for all the responses.
Dave M
A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after that is
the beginning of a new argument.