[time-nuts] Thunderbolt - any negatives ?

Roy Phillips phill.r1 at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 2 09:47:59 UTC 2009

Didier
Your comments regarding SMPS are very valid, but there are SMPS designs and
then some !
I bought a Wavetek 395 Function Generator with a totally blown up SMPS for
approx $100. I attempted to repair this unit but the PCB was badly
damaged/burned and one 8-pin Dil device was blown to bits - plus burnt out
resistors. I tried to obtain a replacement from the manufacturers without
success. After hooking up external supplies and proving that it was
otherwise OK, I contemplated building a linear supply within the box - it
would have been heavy and difficult to fit. This latter point reinforces
your comment about size and power dissipation. The original unit was
identical to the average small PC PSU, but with very different outputs.
After about 10 months of looking for a solution - I thought I recognized a
Wavetek 395 Function Generator in Bob Mokia's Lab. photo, and ask him if he
could find me a spare PSU, after a short while he came back with a
replacement for around $50 - presto I now have a fully working 395 for $100,
which I notice sells for $1500 in the US.
Footnote:
No axe to grind, but like others in the Group,I have found Bob Mokia to be a
"straight" and helpful dealer.
Roy