[time-nuts] FE-5680A heat sink

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Mon Jun 8 11:58:26 UTC 2009

I'm puzzled.  I admit that I don't have a lot of experience with
Rb standards, but I do have a bit of experience with the HP-5065A
Rb standard.

In the 5065A, the entire physics package is enclosed in an oven.

Assuming that your Rb is the same, and I believe it is, your plan
to force the physics package to run at room temperature is just going
to make the oven work harder in its never ending quest to maintain
stable temperature.  If you monitor the current draw of the 5680A,
you will probably see that it goes up when you put a fan on it.

Sometimes, you just have to let electronics run hot.

What did the manufacturer suggest?

-Chuck Harris