[time-nuts] Thunderbolt stability and ambient temperature

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Fri Jun 12 06:57:53 UTC 2009

Chuck Harris wrote:

> Bruce Griffiths wrote:
>
>> John
>>
>> That doesn't appear to reproduce what was claimed to have been observed
>> at all.
>> The input is more like a step function that switches from hot to cold.
>> This allows the simulated bar to reach a steady state temperature
>> distribution before decaying smoothly to a lower temperature.
>>
>> Bruce
>

> Humans are terrible witnesses when it comes to judging lengths of
> time, and degrees of temperature.  That's probably why clocks and
> thermometers were invented.
>
> -Chuck Harris

When I started this part of the thread I said that one of these days I
want to try to make some measurements to see if I can document what I
believe I have experienced. A few others seem to think they have
experienced the same effect. I won't say that we couldn't possibly be
wrong and it is some kind of illusion. The previous time I posted about
this (elsewhere) the majority opinion was that I was wrong about what I
thought I was experiencing.

Before I quit, here's a little bit more info. By the time I carried the
bar to the water, the hot end was probably barely red temp or not red at
all. When I first noticed it I wasn't trying to suddenly quench the bar,
just cool it off. The bar was nearly horizontal and I was passing it
under a stream of cold water a bit at a time. It certainly produced
steam but the steam never got near my hand and the increasing heat I
felt was coming through the steel. I don't believe the steam was moving
down the bar much either (possibly transferring the heat I felt.)

Because of what I've experienced, now I tend to cool things by applying
the water near my hand and working the water toward the hot end.

I'll try to not drag this out by posting more on the subject unless I
get some supporting data or if there are any specific questions.