[time-nuts] Thunderbolt stability and ambient temperature

Thomas A. Frank ka2cdk at cox.net
Sat Jun 13 17:16:00 UTC 2009

>> I just don't know what to say to that!  Even a child can put a
>> case of bottled water in a box, and not have it evaporate or leak.
>> I would venture that said case of bottled water will still be full
>> up when the child graduates from college, and has kids of his own.
>
> But goodness knows what sort of a biological hazard it will be by
> then :-)

More to the point, you will be disappointed to find the bottles will
NOT last that long.

Cleaning out the cupboard recently, I can across some bottled water
that had 1998 date codes.  Several had leaked, but one was still
intact enough to show the likely problem.  It would appear that over
the past 10 years, the gases dissolved in the water migrated through
the plastic (or the cap seal), resulting in a vacuum forming in the
bottle.  This distended the bottles and caused structural failure.

Either that, or the water caused the plastic to shrink.

Glass would probably fair better.

Tom Frank, KA2CDK