[time-nuts] Thunderbolt stability and ambient temperature

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 22:02:35 UTC 2009

Hi,
Water must have a fairly high figure of merit for thermal buffering.
Unfortunately the lists of material properties are inaccurate, have
gross errors
and are inevitably listed in units such as tons per Degree F per inch
per square foot.
The tons refer to tons of ice per 24 hours, a good old reliable air
condtioning
unit.
The relevant measures are thermal conductivity, thermal heat
capacity, density
and thermal diffusivity.
Now there is an interesting comparison between copper and aluminium.

Copper has a specific heat of 0.09 and aluminium 0.2. (cal/gm C )
Copper has a relative thermal conductivity of 0.918 and aluminium 0.48
Copper has a density of 8.9 and Al 2.7
So the heat capacity of copper is 0.8 and Al 0.54 cal/C/cc  when
calculated on a volume basis.
So water at 1cal/C/cc is better than copper, and twice as good as
Aluminium.
Where water really wins is on price, and being a liquid it will heat
with convective circulation
and so be much faster than the solids to reach equilibrium.
cheers, Neville Michie