[time-nuts] Time/freq from digital TV

David I. Emery die at dieconsulting.com
Sun Jun 14 02:08:18 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 09:59:50PM -0400, Glenn Little WB4UIV wrote:
> The digital transmitter could have a GPS based frequency reference.
> I am the CE for a local station (WCIV).
> We do not use any standard other than what is installed in the transmitter.
>
> I have not verified it, but, I think that the UHF transmitter
> frequency is controlled by an OCXO.

	I'd bet a lot of current digital exciters use a digital
synthesizer locked to a reference rather than a special OCXO crystal cut
to a particular TV channel frequency. This COULD allow a 10 Mhz in lock to
a GPSDO, rubidium or better...

	I found a couple of the Boston analog stations were very
accurately on frequency using my spectrum analyzer signal counter with a
10 MHz GPSDO reference... so some folks somewhere must bother to lock
signals.

--
  Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, die at dieconsulting.com  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in