[time-nuts] Lifetime of glass containers

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 22:54:31 UTC 2009

Hi,
I used to work with a scientific glass blower who told me that the
glass is a liquid story is bunk.
He demonstrated by making a "hot spot" on the side of a piece of
glass pipe. As it cooled it set a
a very intense strain into the piece of glass. Between crossed
polaroids it was very visible.
He explained that it was beyond the strength of the glass and that it
would break.
  The only question was when. One second, one hour, one week, one
Four years later it fell out, although the force was enormous and the
distance to move
was submicroscopic there was no decrease of the force.
He also showed with the crossed polaroids, that decade old glass ware
still had all its strains.
Glass may be a supercooled liquid in structure, but it is also a
solid, more stable that most metals.
cheers, Neville Michie