[time-nuts] TBOLT learning

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jun 18 12:09:57 UTC 2009

Neville Michie wrote:
> Hi,
> I am building a temperature control system to keep a tbolt warm.
> If I start it at a constant temperature which never varies how can it
> learn
> what its temperature coefficient is?
> Should it be started in varying ambient conditions for a day or a week
> to learn
> then control the temperature?
> Should it be run at 5 degrees below control then 5 degrees above to
> teach it?
> Does anybody know?
> could be an interesting project,
> cheers, Neville Michie

Neville

Given the finite resolution of the temperature sensor if the temperature
variation within the chamber is less than this it wont won't matter.

Since the temperature coefficient may not be constant its probably
advisable to have the temperature vary smoothly over a range rather than
just choosing 2 temperatures.
The tbolt software is probably designed to cope with smooth temperature
variations.

The tbolt may not actually retain the temperature corrections for more
than a few days at most as it continually adapts to its surroundings so
allowing it to learn its tempco may not be very useful if you intend to
closely regulate the temperature of its surroundings.

Bruce