[time-nuts] HP5370A self test fault characteristics and diagnosis

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Fri Jun 19 09:53:03 UTC 2009

Bruce Griffiths wrote:

>What is the indicated std deviation of the delay between the STAR and
>STOP inputs when connecting the rear panel 10MHz signal to both START
>and STOP inputs using the STAR COM position of the channel mode switch?

Bruce,

I don't think I understand exactly how to measure this.

First, let me say that this is a very early 5370A. It doesn't even have
a 10544, it has the early crappy reference. Hence, I have been feeding
it a better signal to the external ref input.

Now, I am assuming you are talking about measuring a version of this
reference signal. I think you are saying, put the front panel switch to
START COMMON. Are you saying to feed in phase inputs to both Start and
Stop inputs? I thought Start Common tied them together. Then I have no
clue how to gather a reading for std deviation.

Sorry if I am being dense. This counter, though very old, is new to me.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.