[time-nuts] HP5370A self test fault characteristics anddiagnosis

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Fri Jun 19 10:07:33 UTC 2009

> I have a 5334B and looking at the same signal it seems more stable. From
> memory (I haven't tried it recently) the 5370 had 3 or 4 unstable low
> order digits. Even selecting high periods or sample size didn't seem to
> remove noise out of two or three digits.
>
> I never used a 5370 before, but this doesn't seem right. I get several
> random digits even looking at it's own clean 10 MHz external clock. That
> shouldn't be, should it?

The procedure Bruce was describing is basically the jitter test from the
manual, at http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/05370-90031.pdf (this
is actually the same copy that David Kirkby scanned a few years ago, hosted
by Agilent.)  Follow the directions on page 3-11 and 3-12, and post the
results, especially from step 15.  This jitter figure is usually well under
50 ps in a 5370 that's working properly.

-- john, KE5FX