[time-nuts] OT favorite signal generator?

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jun 19 14:22:46 UTC 2009

On 6/19/09 6:38 AM, "optomatic at rogers.com" <optomatic at rogers.com> wrote:

> Hey Robert
>
> Great tip about the attenuator.
>
> I looked up some models on the internet and some look fairly expensive.
> I know that I will always be injecting low voltage signals, do you think
> it would be wise to buy a cheaper fixed attenuator, let's say 20dB?, and
> then just depend on the variable rate that the signal generator?

How precise does your level have to be? How stable?
There are surplus attenuators available all over the place, some variable
ones too.
MiniCircuits has VAT-nn attenuators which are relatively inexpensive (not by
"found it at a ham-fest 30 years ago" standards, though)

Building your own attenuator using chip resistors is another possibility.