[time-nuts] OT favorite signal generator?

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 15:32:41 UTC 2009

Patrick,
Using a large fixed attenuator should work fine.   I learned the attenuator
trick when dealing with some variable gain amp chips from Analog.  Instead
of varying the gain, they run at some fixed level that produces a clean
output, and vary the attenuation level to prevent non-linear effects and
distortion.  HP might be doing this, then again, maybe not.   Some of my
instruments are very sensitive to input overloading and I just got in the
habit of using a step attenuator between the signal source and the VNA or
spectrum analyzer, or what have you.   It helps to prevent stupid mistakes
that seem to happen at all the wrong times.

As John Miles said, no HP signal generator should produce a distorted output
at low level.  My Tektronix does!

-Bob