[time-nuts] Z3805 vs Z3816/Z3801

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Fri Jun 26 06:50:34 UTC 2009

Iain,

I own a Z3805 but have no manual for it, so the following is from my
experience only:

> a) The Power requirements. The 3801 and 3816 differ in
> Voltage requirements as I understand it, anyone able to tell
> me what the 3805 needs/wants/likes to be fed ?

There seem to be 24 V versions and 48 V versions around. Mine is a 24 V
version. The power connector is male XLR connector as used in audio
applications.

> b) Pictures I've seen appear to show BNC rather than SMA
> connectors, can someone with 3805 confirm ? (Not that it's
> such a massive issue, but extra cables or converters required...)

Mine has 2 10 MHz and 2 PPS outputs via BNC connectors. Antenna connector is
N-type. There are two 25 pin male Sub-D connectors, one of which is a RS232
with DTE pinning

> c) 16 channel GPS RX is great. But anyone know if it wants to
> feed 3.3V or 5V up to the antenna ?

My guess is 5 V. Perhaps someone has measured it. I am currently
experimenting with mine in software and do at this point not want to
disconnect the antenna cable to measure.

> d) Anyone know if it works with the Type 26 NTP reference
> clock driver ? Anyone actually have it running this way ?

The only difference in communication against a Z3801 that I could find as
far comes from the 16 channel receiver: It needs more lines in the status
screen to list all tracked sats. So my guess is that it should run with any
software that does not rely TOO strong on positions on the status screen.

Best regards
Ulrich Bangert